Friday, September 12, 2008

Brainwashing ;-)

You may be wondering why the title. Just watch this! (don't worry only 30 seconds;)

Humm!?!?!?!? I never knew! Alright I'm going to rant for just a second so if you are not interested just skip to the part that I recently read on this blog. I thought they made some good points don't you think? Now the commercial; have we really become such zombies that marketing like this is going to work? First when I see pretty much any add or commercial I ask myself, "Who is funding it?" Well you will notice at the end of the commercial it tells you. Corn Refiners Association! Hummm Well I think I can trust them to tell me the truth about corn syrup. They don't have anything to loose if I don't consume corn syrup do they? ;) They must have me and my families best interest at heart. Here are some other things I have learned from adds similar to these. "Milk it does a body good!" "Beef, it's what's for dinner!" "Pork, the other white meat!" "100% Vitamin C!" "Red Wine can help prevent heart disease!" And I know you could probably think of a million others that are not coming to me right off! Okay back to the corn syrup. It does no one any good. It has absolutely no nutrition and it is causing tons of problems a main one is the huge increase of diabetes especially among children. Not to mention being malnourished and overweight at the same time. And because of this overuse of refined corn products many people are become allergic to corn! Also yeah it doesn't have anything artificial in it but that punch the lady is holding. I'm sorry it's just almost hilarious to me. The only thing natural in it would probably be the water. It has artificial dyes and flavors and oh yeah corn syrup. Yep people table sugar is natural too. It comes from a good natural source BUT by the time it gets to our table it does not any longer resemble food. It's basically just the sweetness from the sugar cane no vitamins no minerals and takes those things from our bodies just to digest it. I believe it is more closely related to a drug then a food; same with corn syrup. Well there's my rant thanks for indulging me. I hope we all can become more savvy consumers! I know our children and grandchildren will thank us for learning and helping them to learn too! There are so many health problems these days and obesity and I am sure THIS kind of stuff plays a big part!

10 Ways to Stop Being Brainwashed


1. Cut back on the news. Way back. Even though we supposedly live in a country with freedom of the press, the news is skewered. It is filtered, regurgitated, and processed in a way that tends to instill fear in the public and fearful people are much more easily led.

2. Cut back on TV. There are some educational programs but a lot of the stuff on TV is crap. Again, most of it revolves around the element of fear/anger/hatred and can literally raise your blood pressure. Why succumb to this voluntarily?

3. Look at who you surround yourself with. The phrase "you are only as good as the people you hang out with" is true. You hang around idiots, you become an idiot. You hang around drug dealers, you will either become one or be found guilty by association. Hang around intelligent, straight thinking, forward moving people and you will become that product of your environment.

4. Have basic skills--math, science, logic, history, English--all of those classes in school were meant to give you the skills to survive and move forward in our society. I am always amazed when people do something dumb (one guy loaded a new refrigerator in the back of his truck, didn't tie it down--guess he thought it was so heavy it wouldn't move--headed off down the freeway and it promptly blew out of the truck and shattered all over the freeway. Did he flunk physics? Also, the next time a kid at the fast food restaurant can't figure out how much change I get because the computer didn't tell him, I'm gonna go ballistic. Don't they still teach math?). These basic skills when used appropriately will help people figure out simple--and more complex--things in life.

5. Question everything. People are either too dumb or too trusting and they don't question ANYTHING. From the PayDay lender: "we want to help you in your time of need so here take this money at 300% interest". Ask: What's wrong with this picture? Why would someone want to give me money? What's in it for them? Are their terms reasonable? What are my other options?

6. Know your rights. If you don't know what they are, you don't have any. Start by reading the US Constitution. Then read your state constitution. Research applicable rights and laws that pertain to any situation you find yourself in. The only person who is going to look out for your best interests is YOU.

7. Home school your kids. The state of public schools is frightful in many (not all) areas. Teachers spend half of their classroom time being policemen or social workers; this leaves very little time for actual education. The home schooled kids I know are intelligent, well socialized, and a pleasure to be around (a friend said it's because if you spend that much time with your kids, you have to teach them to be the pleasant people you want to be around).

8. Take a stand. When you feel you are in the right, when you have a defensible position, take a stand no matter what society or your peers think. Many people would rather roll over and play dead than stand up for themselves, stand up against things that are illegal/immoral/unethical, or worse, let the government think for them.

9. Don't follow the crowd. The crowd buys $400 purses on credit. They persecute people based on rumor. They excuse behaviour that is inexcusable. There are ways to fit into society (good manners, good attitude) and there are times when you need to do your own thing (like being debt free when everyone you know lives on credit).

10. Experiment, explore, and continue learning. Growth stops when learning stops. There is always more to learn, always ways to improve your lot in life, and always room for taking control of (and personal responsibility for) your life.

6 comments:

Felisa said...

Tam, I love this blog! Sometimes ya just gotta say it like it is. What a CORNY ad. Maybe you should've auditioned for the part of "Clueless Woman #1" in that commercial. So when Sista Act said "Like What?" You could've told her the FACTS MAAM! I SAY the next time we're together, let's do a REMAKE of that commercial!!! And do the blasted thing RIGHT.
A friend of mine said she just saw an ad in a magazine like this the other day. I guess the corn growers overplanted this year thinking that the oil companies were gonna sell more Ethanol, who knows?
Love ya loads!

Tammie said...

Hey sis love it! I so would love to do the commercial right! Lets put it on the agenda for the next getogether! And I think you are right on about that Ethanol! "Dang now what do we do with all this corn?!?!?!?" "I know just like with the floride we can make the masses think it's good for them." Funny stuff dang we could make a whole feature length movie!

Amy said...

I'm waiting for the commercial, I want to be first in line to see it! LOL
I loved this blog also! I love your 10 suggestions!
Amy

Emily said...

I am so auditioning for the remake of this commercial. The excitement is so intense...I can hardly stand it!

Way to go on this post Tam!! KEEP IT UP!! You nailed it!!!

I love you tons, Em

Anonymous said...

Hey Tam. Ok. I know that I dont very often comment on your stuff, mostly cause I usually don't take the time. But I have been thinking about it for a while and on this one I just have to say it. I think that posting of yours is exceptional! 1st you started with a video that so many people, if they saw would be fooled into thinking that punch in the fridge is actually good for them! 2nd. You then proceed to tell them why the video is a total crock and what the effects of this stuff actually is. 3rd. You tell them 10 ways that basically they can keep from becoming a victim themselves among other things.
Well.the point i want to make with all this is that unless someone beat me to the punch, I am going to be the fifth to comment on this post of yours, and one of them was your own comment.
This is some valuable information that you are posting in i think that a ton of people would really find it that way. You could do people a big service and help them improve their lives and make so doe doing so. anyway, thats about all. If you dont market this stuff of yours then i better not get sued for the rights when i do!
Love ya,
Michael

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could be a brother-sister team. Tammie writes, Michael markets! Don't forget your old Ma and Pa when you get rich. I have to say I agree with Michael, though. Many people need to read your thoughts, Tam, instead of just us few that check your blog. Good idea. It would help tons of people if they at least realized that maybe they are being duped by advertisers. Sure do love ya. Mom and Grandma O.