Thursday, May 03, 2007

I Can't Get Anything Done!

I read this great article today that didn't come any too soon. Even though I really love being a mother, there can be times were you feel you are just keeping your head above water. Especially when it comes to housework and the daily mundane things. It's always good to have a reminder like this that helps put things into perspective. I thought others might enjoy it too so here it is!
“I didn’t get anything done today,” I complained at the end of a long day as I tucked the new baby in her crib and sighed. “I feel exhausted, but the house and the kids look as messy as they did when the day started.”
“What did you do today?” my husband answered.
I gave him a dirty look.
“I’m not trying to be funny,” he continued. “What did you do today?”
“Well, I got up at five to feed, change, and rock the baby. Then there was breakfast, baths, and dishes, and then it was time to feed, change, and rock the baby again.
Then there was washing, lunch, more dishes, rides to kindergarten, homework, piano lessons, and then it was time to feed, change, and rock the baby again.”
“Hold it,” my husband interrupted. “It sounds as though you did quite a bit. So what’s the problem?”
“I don’t know. I guess I mean I didn’t get anything important done today. You know, something besides the same old routine.”
“Join the crowd,” my husband answered.
We both yawned and crawled into bed. Just when we had almost dropped off to sleep, the baby cried again from her crib.“I’ll get her,” I whispered as my husband rolled over and moaned.I cradled our young daughter in my arms and walked down the hall into the den. Sitting in the overstuffed rocker, I gently enclosed the baby in the bend of my neck. Her tiny body relaxed as I quietly sang the words of her favorite song, “How I love my little Ashley, sweet and precious little Ashley. How I love my little Ashley. Honest to goodness, I do.”I felt Ashley’s warm infant body mold to mine, and after a moment she began the deep breathing of sleep. Normally I’d have hurriedly put her back to bed, but I could see the stars from the window in the night sky, and something held me there.
“What did I do today?” I asked myself again. “I rocked my baby and told her I loved her.”
Maybe I didn’t finish the wash, vacuum the stairs, or solve the world’s hunger problems. Maybe I didn’t write the great American novel or even scrub the sinks. But I rocked my baby and told her I loved her.
And maybe, just maybe, that is the most important thing I will ever do.
From Families Who Laugh…Last by Janene Wolsey Baadsgaard
Have I mentioned that I love being a Mother! And how much I love my sweet children!

This is my dear friend with her sweet baby we were able to go and spend some time with them this week. As always it was too short but oh how we love and look forward to those wonderful times!

Some wonderful family members gave us a family pass to a really cool place near our home called Thanksgiving Point! There is sooo much to do there! We are very excited. Last Saturday evening we had time to go exploring in the dinosaur museum there. We had a great time! Above is everyone except Mom standing by T-Rex!

Here are the kids with a Triceratops!

They loved playing in the sand and water making rivers, waterfalls, and islands for the play dinosaurs.

I could tell Dad really wanted to play too. As soon as one of the kids asked him to help he jumped right up and spent a little time being a kid again;) We just spent as much time as the kids wanted cause we know we will be back again soon, so we don't have to "see it all" in one trip!


The kids also spent a lot of time "digging" up dinosaur bones. They had a great time we finally had to leave because they were closing! We noticed with the pass anyone who comes with us gets in half off! So if you are making plans this summer be sure to come up and we will go! It's lots of fun plus anything for a chance to see friends and family!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Great Story Tam! Thanks for sharing...definitely something every mother needs to hear....OFTEN!

Looks like you guys had a blast at Thanksgiving point. We are seriously going to have to come up when we have some extra time and spend a few days! Do you think we will ever have some extra time to kill??? Maybe we'll just have to MAKE some! :)

Love ya tons and tons, Em

Nelson Family said...

I liked that story too. I often feel that way, but it's good to be reminded of what really matters. It also looks fun at Thanksgiving Point. That's cool that you live so close to it. Caleb can't wait to see the kids again. He wants to ride bikes with them.

Ruckman Clan said...

Thanks for the great story. I needed it today. I too love being a mother, but it is really hard to get things done.

We can't wait to come and go to Thanksgiving point with you all. Kindra is really exicted.

Love ya all
ta

Felisa said...

That was an awesome story! HOW true it is!!! Thanksgiving point looked like a blast! WE'll have to do that with our lil dinosaurs someday!

Love Ya Ages!

Anonymous said...

I love that story!!!! And how true it is. There is no job in the world to compare with being a Mom. You are doing a marvelous job, Tam. Keep up the good work, and enjoy the journey! I have never been to Thanksgiving point, but it looks great. Maybe sometime your kids could take Gramps and me there!? I love you all!