Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Some times you feel like a. . . .




. . . .well Ry felt like using a tiller instead of a rake to till up the garden he felt it would work better and be much easier!



He found a cool little fold up tiller! It works perfect for our small yard and stores neatly on a hook in our garage.


Missy felt like taking some pictures and here are some cute ones of the boys. (Notice they both have what looks like chocolate on their faces)


......And sometimes you feel having your cake and EATING it too! Around here, with us health nuts, you would not think we eat much cake, cookies, or other yummy treats but I'm sure most of you who have looked at my recipe book will notice that we don't go without having plenty of yummy treats. I just like to make them healthy! I think it is so fun to be able to take tasty things and make them actually be good for you. For me this takes away all guilt, keeps the pounds from creeping on, (like it would if we had the unhealthy versions, I know; been there done that;) and one things for sure we never have felt deprived or like we are missing out on something. If anything I feel like why would you want the unhealthy version when you could have something just as good (we actually think most of them are better) that also gives you nourishment instead of empty calories.

(Note: Someone who is used to eating a lot of processed foods with things like MSG in them, or a lot of fast food; It may take a little while for your taste buds to taste "real" food again. This is one reason why we tend to think the healthy version tastes better. Of course if you tend to mostly enjoy fresh foods and things without all the flavor enhancers you should really enjoy most healthy treats among other healthy things. I also enjoy making healthy entrees like last night I made some tasty Alfredo sauce with coconut milk, and I have been thinking about how to make a healthy Philly Cheese Steak! Don't worry I will share all recipes that make it to our favorites list.)

Alright now the point;) Sometimes you feel like a nut....... sometimes you don't! Here is a recipe of my Mock Almond Joys! (Now you know what the boys had on their faces;)


Mock Almond Joys

3 cups unsweetened dried shredded coconut

1/2 cup melted coconut oil

1/2 cup pure maple syrup

dash of pure vanilla

dash of sea salt

Almonds

In a large bowl combine all the ingredients above except almonds. With a small cookie scoop or spoon make little "blobs" on wax paper or plastic wrap. If you feel like a nut place an almond on top of each one. Refrigerate to set up for a few minutes. Make up your choice of chocolate topping and just spoon topping onto each mound. Refrigerate till set up then enjoy. Keep left overs refrigerated!

Options for "chocolate" on top

1 cup carob chips melted with 2 Tablespoons rice milk in double boiler so it won't burn.

The Truffles recipe in my book

Some melted coconut oil with some carob powder and a little maple syrup would also be good and easy to whip up.

Also I though you might like this recipe too! It's where the inspiration for the Almond Joys came from. Ry and I even like them better! Sorry I don't have a picture.

Vanilla Macaroons

1/2 c. raw almonds

2 1/2 c. shredded unsweetened coconut

1/4-1/2 c. pure maple syrup (start with 1/4 and add more if needed for sweetness)

1/4 c. coconut oil, melted

2 Tbsp pure vanilla

dash sea salt

In a food processor pulse almonds until they become a coarse powder. Then in a bowl combine almonds and remaining ingredients, except for coconut oil. Pour the coconut oil over the coconut mixture and stir well. With a small cookie scoop or large melon-baller, pack mixture into the scoop and then plop onto a serving tray. When all the balls are formed, place the tray in the refrigerator and chill until firm. Keep leftovers refrigerated.




5 comments:

Emily said...

YOU GO GIRL!! I knew YOU could do it! I can't wait to try 'em!

That little tiller is mighty handy! Lookin' forward to seeing the finished product of your garden!

Love ya like a yummy treat with no MSG! ;) Emily

Felisa said...

K, before i read your blog, i scrolled down and when I saw that pic of the treats. I thought.."What in the sam?...eggplant on rice? Seashell over sand?" I had no idea. So I read and WOWSERZ I am impressed!!! You are quite the inventor Sis and I'm proud of ya! I would say I can't wait to try um, but being that i'm no coconut fan, I'll have to trust that they're as yummy as the other neat stuff you've created.

Love the tiller, that's what we need these days. Not that Godzilla thing we've got!

Love Ya Mounds!!!

Ruckman Clan said...

I love Missy pictures, as for the treats I am sure that they taste great, the only problem is that I don't really like coconut. I guess I will have to try your treat and see if it changes my mind.

Love ya all!

Nelson Family said...

The treats look and sound great! I love coconut! I crave pina coladas almost everyday!

Nelson Family said...

Dear Missy, Matt & Curtis,
One time could we play? I know we'll have lots of fun because I like to play with you. I want to do jumping jacks with you. Exercizing makes you grow healthy and strong.
Love, Caleb
P.S. Did you and ryan discuss the Grand Canyon in December?
Gena
exit