


I just noticed she had her floaties on. I had not even noticed when taking the pictures. She does know how to swim and is getting pretty good but she must have felt safer flipping with them on.
Have you ever noticed that every year during harvest time you always end up with tons of zucchini? (Even if your own plants died;) Well just the other night we came up with a great yummy way to use up some of that zucchini. Kind of a remake of a old favorite, but now much healthier. We call it. . . .
Swimming in Zucchini: Casserole
6 slices whole wheat bread
coconut oil and seasonings (i.e. Mrs. Dash, Granulated Garlic, Onion powder)
1 rounded Tablespoon vegetable bullion powder (I use Rapunzel brand)
2 cups + 1/4 cup rice milk
3+ Tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
2 Tablespoons soy sauce or liquid aminos
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (I get mine at the health food store)
1/4 cup brewers yeast
3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup grated carrots
8 oz. fresh mushrooms chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery (optional)
1 cup Sunflower Seed Sour Cream (recipe below)
Spread some coconut oil on the slices of bread. Cut into squares (Crouton style) and place on cookie sheet, sprinkle with desired seasonings. Place sheet in oven and turn on the broiler. Broil just until golden brown. Be sure to watch you don't want to burn them. Remove from oven and turn oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium sauce pan, on medium heat stir together 2 cups of the milk, the bullion, and garlic. While mixture is heating up, place flour and the 1/4 cup of milk in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve flour then stir in into the pan and whisk to prevent lumps. Stir until thickened Add the brewers yeast, soy and Worcestershire sauce stir remove from heat.
In a casserole pan place all vegetables. And the COOKED brown rice. Add your milk mixture and sunflower seed sour cream mix well. Top with your cooked bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Sunflower Seed Sour Cream
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup water
4+ Tablespoons lemon juice
1 garlic clove pressed or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
Place ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.



6 comments:
That was so much fun watching the kids swim and watching Missy doing daredevil flips...with a 'little' bitof help from her Daddy !
The casserole looks and sounds yummy. I noticed it calls for Brewers yeast. Do you use that instead of nutritional yeast in this recipe? I just wondered because the brewers yeast has a much stronger and distinctive flavor.
I can't get people to give me zucchini. They say thats the way to tell if you don't have any friends if you have to buy zucchini at the store. Oh oh! Guess I need to start being nicer to people!!! I sure do love you guys! Love Mom
It is nutritional yeast. The co-op calls them both names for the same thing. And it is yummy if you liked the Mushroom Stroganoff you should really enjoy this!
I looooved the Mushroom Stroganoff, so I can't wait to try this. And I guess we don't have any friends either, cause nobody has given us a Zucchini since we moved here. Course, ppl gave them to us when we lived in The Claw...so maybe the theory doesn't hold any water.
I'm impressed with Missy's water stunts. Maybe you guys need to get a Traaampooooooliiiine! ;)
Much Love!
We would love a Traaapooliinnee. Only it would be bigger then our back yard. Maybe one day. Right now without a fence it would be a kid magnet and I don't want to have to police it. We already have all the neighbor kids end up here we don't need to encourage them.
Ohh YUMMMM! That looks so delish!
Tammie.. Your recipes are the best! I seriously think you should do a daily recipe on your blog??!! That wouldn't be too much to ask...would it? Okay, Okay....maybe and every other day recipe blog....;)
The swimmin' gal looks like she is having fun.. All those ballerina videos paid off. Nice and flexible!:)
Love ya, Em
I also just had to comment on Missy's swim suit! I am so proud of my beautifully modest little niece! What a great example you are!
I love you tons, Auntie Em
Post a Comment